NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
This notice describes how health information about you may be used and disclosed as well as how you can access this information. Please review the following carefully.
This Notice of Privacy Practices covers the following separate but legal entities: Healthplex, Inc., Dentcare Delivery Systems, Inc., International Healthcare Services, Inc., Healthplex IPA, Inc., Healthplex of NJ, Inc., Healthplex of CT, Inc., and Healthplex Insurance Company.
- Healthplex, its affiliates, and Dentcare know that the privacy and confidentiality of your dental health information is important. We have policies and procedures in place to protect this information. We are allowed by federal and state laws to use or disclose it for treatment, payment or other health care operations. For example:
- We may give your dental information to a network dental specialist. This will help you receive covered treatment under your dental plan.
- We may discuss your services with your dentist so benefits can be paid.
- We may review your dental information with dental consultants. This will help us review the plan and the services of health care professionals.
- We may mail a postcard to your home to help you and participating dentists identify your dental coverage. The ID card will not display information about your health.
- There are many other times where we are allowed or required by federal or state laws to use or disclose protected health care information (PHI) without your written consent or authorization. For example, we will give PHI to:
- Relatives and others involved in your care.
- Groups providing relief and assistance in disasters such as floods, fires and terrorist attacks.
- Certain agencies or persons when required by law.
- Certain agencies for public health reasons.
- Certain authorities for notice of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.
- Health agencies for oversight activities authorized by law. This includes audits, civil and criminal investigations, inspections and other activities.
- A court or administrative body for judicial and other proceedings.
- Certain authorities in response to administrative subpoenas, summons, civil or authorized investigative demands or similar process authorized by law.
- Coroners, medical examiners and funeral directors, in line with the law, as needed to carry out their duties.
- Certain authorities for specialized government functions. Or, when needed to prevent or lessen a serious and likely threat, consistent with other ethical or legal standards that apply.
- A party responsible for payment of your workers' compensation benefits. Or, to an agency responsible for administering and/or paying your claim for workers' compensation benefits.
Some of the uses or disclosures for the purposes described above may be prohibited or limited by law. If so, we will abide by the "more stringent" laws, as that term is defined by HIPAA. Other uses and disclosures will only be made with your written authorization, which you may change at any time.
We will not give any of your PHI to marketing firms. But, we may contact you about dental treatment options or other health benefits that you may find to be of interest. We may also give summary PHI to your group or plan sponsor if your coverage is provided from such an entity.